- About Us
- Our Work
- Our Partners
- Contact us
Third year for United Way Duck Race a Sellout
All 12,000 ducks sold just hours before race
United Way of the Kearney Area had our most successful Duck Race to date on Saturday, June 2 at Yanney Park Heritage Days. More than 11,600 ducks were spoken for by the end of sales Friday evening with the final adoptions coming in Saturday morning to make it a 12,000 duck sellout.
Ducks were dumped by Broadfoot Sand & Gravel at the 11th Street bridge into the Kearney canal. They floated down for about 15 minutes until they hit the trap, nets and our "No Duck Left Behind" crew just before the pedestrian bridge along the trail that follows the canal.
Congratulations to this year's top selling sales team - Dobytown Kiwanis for the third year running! Their group over 3,000 ducks. Nearly $27,000 was raised to benefit the United Way, their agencies and many other community organizations.
We would like to send out a huge thank you out to many groups and individuals:
- Broadfoot's Sand & Gravel for helping us continue this great tradition with the use of their dump truck.
- Dave Keiter and Yellow Van Cleaning for the use of their facilities to clean and prepare the ducks to be transferred to the next race.
- Mike Kathol for allowing United Way and our volunteers to use his RV for our sales booth at SunMart.
- All of our duck sales teams helping to sell ducks.
- The Buckle Distribution Center for hosting us for the tagging party.big duck
- YRTC for tagging ducks.
- United Way board members and duck race committee for all your hard work before, during and after the race.
- Duck Race co-chairs Adam Wegner and Lisa Willson for taking the lead on our successful third year.
- Darren Robinson for being our lead in the water with duck capture.
- All the sponsors for providing prizes or monetary support to make the race a success.
- Kearney Park and Rec.
- Yanney Park board.
- Anyone who purchased a duck - you are making a difference in people's lives through United Way and our partner agencies.
To see photos for everything Duck Race, check out our Facebook page.